Get NHL Tickets here at SeatGeek.com, the best ticket search engine.
It's been a few weeks now since the Boston Bruins captured the Stanley Cup but July 1st is finally here. Today is the culmination of weeks of countless NHL rumors. It's free agent frenzy time in the NHL and we're live blogging it here at SeatGeek. Enjoy!
NHL Free Agency Live Blog
- 11:10 AM EST: Defenseman James Wisniewski agrees to 6 year, $33 million contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets. Thoughts: A bit too much money and term for a guy who has only had one standout offensive season.
- 11:35 AM: The Pittsburgh Penguins announce they've pulled their contract offer to former star Jaromir Jagr. It's believed the Detroit Red Wings and Montreal Canadiens remain interested.
- 11:45 AM: The Minnesota Wild have re-signed goaltender Josh Harding to a one-year deal worth $750,000.
- 11:50 AM: The Vancouver Canucks have re-signed forward Chris Higgins to a two-year deal for $1.9 million per.
- 11:58 AM: The Detroit Red Wings have re-signed forward Drew Miller to a two-year deal worth $1.65 million.
- 12:00 PM: The 2011 free agency period is officially underway!
- 12:01 PM: It's being reported that Tampa Bay Lightning forward Steven Stamkos is not close to a new deal with his team. He is now eligible to receive offer sheets.
- 12:02 PM: The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed forward Tyler Kennedy to a two-year deal worth $2 million per year.
- 12:05 PM: The Philadelphia Flyers have extended defenseman Braydon Coburn for two years.
- 12:06 PM: It's being reported that the Detroit Red Wings are also no longer interested in Jaromir Jagr.
- 12:11 PM: Rumblings that the Philadelphia Flyers have agreed to terms with forward Michael Handzus.
- 12:24 PM: Center Brad Richards, the best of this year's UFA crop, is meeting with Los Angeles Kings management. The Toronto Maple Leafs are also interested.
Click ahead to continue:
- 12:28 PM: Supposedly the earlier reports of Michael Handzus signing with Philadelphia are false.
- 12:37 PM: Defenseman Andy Greene has re-signed with the New Jersey Devils for four years.
- 12:41 PM: The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed goaltender Mathieu Garon for two years at $1.3 million per.
- 12:46 PM: The Leafs are now making their pitch to Brad Richards' agent.
- 12:50 PM: The Chicago Blackhawks have signed forward Jamal Mayers for one year at $550,000.
- 12:52 PM: Forward Ben Eager has signed with the Edmonton Oilers for three years and $3.3 million total.
- 12:58 PM: The Florida Panthers have signed goalie Jose Theodore to a two-year deal worth $1.5 million per season.
- 1:05 PM: The Dallas Stars have signed defenseman Adam Pardy to a two-year deal at $2 million per year.
- 1:09 PM: The Chicago Blackhawks have signed veteran defenseman Sean O'Donnell to a one-year deal worth $850,000.
- 1:13 PM: The Florida Panthers have signed forward Scottie Upshall.
- 1:15 PM: The Calgary Flames have signed defenseman Chris Butler. The Washington Capitals have signed veteran forward Jeff Halpern.
- 1:20 PM: The Phoenix Coyotes have signed goalie Mike Smith to a two-year deal worth $2 million per. The Coyotes have also signed Raffi Torres to a two-year deal at $1.75m per year.
- 1:22 PM: In the first real surprise move of the day, the Philadelphia Flyers have announced that they've signed Jaromir Jagr to a one year contract!
- 1:25 PM: Forward Boyd Gordon has signed a two-year deal with the Phoenix Coyotes.
- 1:27 PM: Reports are trickling in that the Flyers and Florida Panthers are negotiating with veteran defenseman Ed Jovanovski. The Dallas Stars have also signed Radek Dvorak and Vernon Fiddler.
- 1:30 PM: Shutdown defenseman Jan Hejda has agreed to a four-year deal with the Colorado Avalanche.
- 1:33 PM: Jagr deal is worth $3.3 million for one season. Thoughts: Too much money for a 39-year-old Jagr.
- 1:34 PM: Ed Jovanovski has signed a four-year deal with the Florida Panthers.
- Post-lunch update, 2:50 PM: Max Talbot has signed with the Flyers on a five-year deal. The Flyers also signed defenseman Andreas Lilja. The Colorado Avalanche have traded for Washington goalie Semyon Varlamov. The Panthers have signed Marcel Goc. Thoughts: The Flyers have stolen two Pittsburgh legends today in Talbot and Jagr. Not sure why the Avalanche gave up so much for Varlamov.
- 2:56 PM: The Montreal Canadiens have signed goaltender Peter Budaj to a two-year deal.
- 2:59 PM: The New York Rangers have signed forward Mike Rupp to a three-year deal worth $4.5 million.
- 3:05 PM: The Detroit Red Wings have signed defenseman Mike Commodore to a one-year deal worth $1 million.
- 3:15 PM: The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Steve Sullivan to a one-year deal worth $1.5 million.
- 3:22 PM: The Washington Capitals have signed forward Joel Ward to a four-year contract worth$12 millon.
- 3:30 PM: Washington has also signed veteran defenseman Roman Hamrlik to a two-year deal worth $7 million.
- 3:32 PM: Erik Cole has signed with the Montreal Canadiens for four years, $18 million total.
- 3:43 PM: The Dallas Stars have signed forward Michael Ryder.
- 3:58 PM: The Florida Panthers continue their big day, trading for Phildelphia Flyers forward Kris Versteeg.
- 4:05 PM: The Boston Bruins have signed forward Benoit Pouliot. The Carolina Hurricanes have also signed veteran goalie Brian Boucher.
Image credit to Flickr user HermanVonPetri