- Find tickets to Big East Tournament Session 1 - Georgetown vs. St. Johns, Xavier vs. DePaul on Thursday March 11 2021 at 7:00 pm at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY
Georgetown Hoyas Basketball Details
So, what IS a Hoya, anyway? We’ll tell you at the end of this summary. First, here’s some information about Georgetown hoops.
Georgetown’s basketball program dates to 1907, and they played in various conferences before joining the Big East in 1979. That’s when things got interesting.
After a conference title and two NCAA Tournament berths in two Big East seasons, head coach John Thompson landed one of the most prized recruits in the history of college basketball: Center Patrick Ewing.
As a freshman, Ewing was a defensive force, averaging 3.2 blocks per game and intimidating anyone who entered the lane. The Hoyas reached the national title game that year, losing 63-62 to North Carolina on a game-winning jumper from freshman Michael Jordan.
The Hoyas won the national championship in 1984 – with Ewing named as the tourney’s Most Outstanding Player – and were upset in the 1985 NCAA final by conference rival Villanova.
Georgetown plays home games at Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. The facility holds more than 20,000 fans for basketball, and sits above a Washington Metro station. You can find parking in the neighborhood, but public transit is more convenient and affordable.
So to answer the original question…here’s the story from the Georgetown website: “Many years ago, when all Georgetown students were required to study Greek and Latin, the University’s teams were nicknamed ‘The Stonewalls.’ It is suggested that a student, using Greek and Latin terms, started the cheer ‘Hoya Saxa!’, which translated into ‘What Rocks!’ The name proved popular and the term ‘Hoyas’ was eventually adopted for all Georgetown teams.”
Frequently Asked Questions About Georgetown Basketball Tickets
How much are Georgetown basketball tickets?
Georgetown Hoyas basketball ticket prices on the secondary market can vary depending on a number of factors. Typically, Georgetown Hoyas tickets can be found for as low as $8.00, with an average price of $33.00 but can vary depending on the opponent.
Where do the Georgetown Hoyas play?
The Georgetown Hoyas basketball team home games are played at Capital One Arena on the Georgetown University campus in Washington, DC.
What conference do the Georgetown Hoyas play in?
The Georgetown Hoyas basketball team represents Georgetown University and competes in the NCAA’s Big East.
How to buy Georgetown Hoyas basketball tickets
SeatGeek is the best way to browse, find, and buy Georgetown Hoyas basketball tickets.
- Browse the above listings of School College Basketball tickets to find a show you would like to attend. Once you find the perfect date and show time, click on the button on the right hand side of the event to see all available tickets for that show.
- Next, explore all available Georgetown Hoyas basketball tickets on the left hand side of the screen. Filters at the top of the page allow tickets to be sorted by price, or by SeatGeek’s Deal Score feature, which ranks tickets by value and tells you exactly how good of a deal you're looking at. On the right hand side, you can explore SeatGeek’s interactive maps to find the perfect seating section, and to get a preview of what a view from a seat in that section will look like.
- To buy Georgetown Hoyas basketball tickets, click the ticket listing and you will be directed to SeatGeek’s checkout process to complete the information fields.
- SeatGeek will process your order and deliver your Georgetown Hoyas basketball tickets.
Other Big East Basketball Teams
Georgetown Hoyas Basketball Top Matchups
Georgetown Hoyas Basketball Ticket Prices
|Season||Location||Average Ticket Price|
November 30, 2018
Who is Mac McClung? | Stats & Player Highlights
One of the most exciting members of this year’s freshmen class of college basketball stars is not a prototypical "blue chip" prospect. Mac McClung, a 19-year-old freshman at Georgetown University, found viral fame online thanks to his insane athleticism and propensity for throwing down monster dunks. What’s worth noting about McClung is that he’s just…
March 20, 2013
2013 NCAA Basketball Tournament - South Region
NCAA Tournament South Tickets South Bracket Second Round Games NCAA Basketball Top Seeds - South Kansas City Ticket Price Info 2013 NCAA Basketball Tournament - South Region Some of the biggest names in college sports highlight the top of the 2013 NCAA Basketball Tournament's South region bracket. Kansas may be the most well-known college basketball program…