- Find tickets from 35 dollars to The Nutcracker - Lynn on Saturday December 7 at 12:00 pm at Lynn Memorial Auditorium in Lynn, MA
- Find tickets to The Nutcracker - Charleston on Saturday December 7 at 1:00 pm at Charleston Music Hall in Charleston, SC
- Find tickets from 28 dollars to New Jersey Ballet: The Nutcracker - Englewood on Saturday December 7 at 1:00 pm at Bergen Performing Arts Center in Englewood, NJ
- Find tickets from 66 dollars to The Nutcracker - Cleveland on Saturday December 7 at 1:00 pm at Hanna Theatre - The Playhouse Square Center in Cleveland, OH
- Find tickets from 115 dollars to Royal Winnipeg Ballet - Ottawa on Saturday December 7 at 1:30 pm at National Arts Centre in Ottawa, Canada
- Find tickets from 82 dollars to Maine State Ballet - Portland on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Merrill Auditorium in Portland, ME
- Find tickets from 53 dollars to Gwinnett Ballet Theatre - Duluth on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Infinite Energy Arena in Duluth, GA
- Find tickets from 23 dollars to The Nutcracker - Port Huron on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at McMorran Place Sports and Entertainment Center in Port Huron, MI
- Find tickets from 38 dollars to The Nutcracker - Melbourne on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at King Center for the Performing Arts in Melbourne, FL
- Find tickets from 187 dollars to The Nutcracker - Charlotte on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Belk Theater in Charlotte, NC
- Find tickets from 90 dollars to The Nutcracker - West Palm Beach on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Kravis Center in West Palm Beach, FL
- Find tickets from 117 dollars to Washington Ballet: The Nutcracker - Washington on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Warner Theatre in Washington, DC
- Find tickets from 34 dollars to Julie Moffitt Ballet School - Ogden on Saturday December 7 at 12:00 pm at Peery's Egyptian Theater in Ogden, UT
- Find tickets from 38 dollars to The Nutcracker - Daytona Beach on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Peabody Auditorium in Daytona Beach, FL
- Find tickets from 17 dollars to The Nutcracker - New Albany on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at McCoy Center in New Albany, OH
- Find tickets from 67 dollars to The Nutcracker - Asbury Park on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park, NJ
- Find tickets from 69 dollars to Nutcracker at the Embassy - Fort Wayne on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Embassy Theatre in Fort Wayne, IN
- Find tickets from 136 dollars to The Nutcracker - Pittsburgh on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Benedum Center in Pittsburgh, PA
- Find tickets from 75 dollars to Arts Ballet Theatre of Florida - Akron on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Akron Civic Theatre in Akron, OH
- Find tickets from 36 dollars to The Nutcracker - Concord on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Capitol Center for the Arts in Concord, NH
- Find tickets from 73 dollars to Ballet Jorgen Canada - Hamilton on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at FirstOntario Concert Hall in Hamilton, Canada
- Find tickets from 43 dollars to Butler Ballet - Indianapolis on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Clowes Memorial Hall in Indianapolis, IN
- Find tickets from 32 dollars to Southeast Alabama Dance Company - Dothan on Saturday December 7 at 1:30 pm at Dothan Civic Center Arena in Dothan, AL
- Find tickets from 45 dollars to The Nutcracker - San Antonio on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at HEB Performance Hall at Tobin Center in San Antonio, TX
- Find tickets from 55 dollars to The Nutcracker - Des Moines on Saturday December 7 at 2:00 pm at Des Moines Civic Center in Des Moines, IA
The Nutcracker Details
A holiday favorite and cherished tradition for many, The Nutcracker is a timeless classic choreographed around the music of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. Written in 1892, The Nutcracker is a beloved part of the holiday season for many families the world over. George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker is a Broadway staple, and is based on the Alexandre Dumas version of E.T.A. Hoffman’s tale, The Nutcracker and the Mouse King (1816). This full-scale production features superb choreography danced by the New York City Ballet. With 90 dancers, 62 musicians, 32 stage-hands, and two casts of 50 young students from the School of American Ballet, The Nutcracker is a magical journey of epic proportions.
While the incredible dancers light up the stage with their graceful movements and clean lines, it is the elaborate set work that takes center stage in this production of The Nutcracker. From the one-ton Christmas tree that grows to a height of 40 feet right before your eyes, to the nine-foot wide Mother Ginger costume that requires three stagehands to operate in addition to the dancer inside, the attention to detail and the design crew’s willingness to push the envelope are a sight to behold.
Then, there’s Balanchine’s choreography, which is known for its technical difficulty and its focus on the tiniest detail. His movements tell the story so vividly, it’s no surprise that this amazing choreography would require an equally amazing ballet company to fill the role. While The Nutcracker is performed in hundreds of venues throughout the United States, there is no performance equal to that of the New York City Ballet performing this visually stunning masterpiece.
George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker is one of the most complex and physically demanding staged ballets in the New York City Ballet Company’s active repertoire, and it continues to be an immensely popular show. The entire Company immerses itself in the production for the duration of the season, adding their own unique touches to every aspect of the show. From the collection for reuse of the pure, crystal-shaped snowflakes that fall almost constantly throughout the show, to the Principal Dancers breathtaking movements, every single person involved in the show is an important part of The Nutcracker experience, and their dedication is evident.
The cast itself varies from night to night, with many principal roles being played by several different dancers from the New York City Ballet. There are guest artists from time to time, including the talented Robert La Fosse as Herr Drosselmeier. An accomplished dancer, La Fosse was invited to join the New York City Ballet as a Principal Dancer in 1986. In addition to his numerous achievements in the classical ballet world, La Fosse has also starred in several Broadway productions, earning a Tony Award nomination for Best Actor for his role in Jerome Robbins’ Broadway.
The Nutcracker Show Dates
The Nutcracker keeps the traditional schedule, opening on November 24th and running until December 31st. While you can catch The Nutcracker in practically every major city during this time of year, George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker is playing exclusively at the David H. Koch Theater in New York.
The Nutcracker is suitable for audiences of all ages. The dazzling array of costumes, lively music, beautiful dances, and colorful scenes are sure to keep even the youngest fans enchanted during the two act show. While The Nutcracker is suitable for all ages, parents should use their best judgement and ensure that little ones are able to sit quietly for at least 45 minutes as the show is broken up into two segments about 45 minutes each with an intermission in between.
The Nutcracker Runtime
The Nutcracker tends to run under 2 hours with one intermission. As with any live show, it could run slightly shorter or slightly longer.