Charlotte Hornets Details
Although the Hornets joined the NBA fairly recently—they were a 1988 expansion team—there have actually been two different franchises called the Charlotte Hornets. The first franchise played in Charlotte, North Carolina’s gigantic Charlotte Colosseum until 2002. The first Charlotte Hornets franchise then moved to New Orleans, initially keeping the Hornets’ name.
Just two years later, a second NBA expansion team began playing in Charlotte. The Charlotte Bobcats formed in 2004 and played their first season in the Hornets’ old home at the Colosseum before their current arena, the Spectrum Center, opened. The original franchise, still playing in Louisiana, dropped the Hornets’ name in 2014, and the Bobcats reclaimed the name the same year. In addition to the name, the current Charlotte Hornets have also reclaimed the original franchise’s history and records during its time in Charlotte.
The team is owned by Michael Jordan, who is from North Carolina and played college basketball for the University of North Carolina.
As a relatively new team, the Hornets are still seeking their first NBA Championship and conference title. They have advanced to the second round of the NBA playoffs three times. Their last appearance in the second round was in 2002, just before the original franchise relocated. Among the original Hornets’ most successful players were Muggsy Bogues—who, at 5 feet 3 inches is the shortest player to play in the NBA—and their 1991 first overall pick Larry Johnson.
The Hornets missed the playoffs last season, finishing 11th in the East. The team has made some intriguing additions in the offseason and figures to be back in the playoff hunt last year. They traded for Dwight Howard, an eight-time all-star, during the offseason. They also added former Rookie of the Year Michael Carter-Williams, and they’ll look for point guard Kemba Walker to build on his first all-star season.
How to purchase Charlotte Hornets tickets
SeatGeek is the best way to browse, find, and buy Charlotte Hornets tickets.
- Browse the above listings of Hornets games to find a game you would like to attend. Once you find the perfect date and matchup, click on the green button on the right hand side of the screen to see all available tickets for that game.
- Next, explore all available tickets on the left hand side of the screen. Filters at the bottom of the page allow tickets to be sorted by price, or by SeatGeek’s Deal Score feature, which ranks tickets by value and tells you exactly how good of a deal you're looking at. On the right hand side, you can explore SeatGeek’s interactive stadium and arena maps to find the perfect seating section, and to get a preview of what a view from a seat in that section will look like.
- To purchase a ticket, click the ticket listing and you will be directed to SeatGeek’s checkout process to complete the information fields.
- SeatGeek will process your order and deliver your Charlotte Hornets tickets.
When do Hornets playoff tickets go on sale?
If the Hornets make the postseason, playoff tickets should go on sale shortly after, typically in April. Be sure to sign up for an account so you can get alerts about Hornets playoff tickets!
Charlotte Hornets schedule
For a list of upcoming Hornets games, feel free to browse the game listings above, or visit our Hornets Schedule page for game results, scores, the team record, and future games. The 2017-18 Hornets regular season runs from October 18, 2017 to April 10, 2018.
How much do Hornets tickets cost?
SeatGeek has the widest selection of tickets on the web, offering Hornets tickets for every fan at every price point. Typically, Hornets tickets start at about $15. Visit our Hornets Ticket Prices page for more information.
When do the Hornets play the Heat?
This 2017-18 season dates for Hornets vs. Heat games are December 1 at American Airlines Arena, December 15 and January 20 at Spectrum Center, and January 27 at American Airlines Arena. Visit our Hornets vs. Heat matchup page for ticket listings and further information.
Charlotte Hornets Top Matchups
The Charlotte Hornets have a number of exciting matchups this season, see below for their top rivalries.
- Hornets vs. Hawks Tickets
- Hornets vs. Heat Tickets
- Hornets vs. Magic Tickets
- Hornets vs. Wizards Tickets
- Hornets vs. Mavericks Tickets
- Hornets vs. Rockets Tickets
- Hornets vs. Grizzlies Tickets
- Hornets vs. Pelicans Tickets
- Hornets vs. Spurs Tickets
- Hornets vs. Celtics Tickets
- Hornets vs. Nets Tickets
- Hornets vs. Knicks Tickets
- Hornets vs. 76ers Tickets
- Hornets vs. Raptors Tickets