- Find tickets to John Cleese on Monday May 23 at 7:30 pm at McCaw Hall in Seattle, WA
- Find tickets to Rupi Kaur - Seattle on Wednesday May 25 at 8:00 pm at Paramount Theatre - WA in Seattle, WA
- Find tickets to Stars On Ice - Seattle on Saturday May 28 at 7:30 pm at Climate Pledge Arena in Seattle, WA
- Find tickets to Gary Gulman on Saturday May 28 at 8:00 pm at Moore Theatre in Seattle, WA
- Find tickets to Massive Monkees - Seattle on Sunday May 29 at 5:00 pm at Neptune Theatre in Seattle, WA
- Find tickets to The Prom - Seattle on Tuesday May 31 at 7:30 pm at 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle, WA
- Find tickets to The Prom - Seattle on Wednesday June 1 at 7:30 pm at 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle, WA
- Find tickets to The Prom - Seattle on Thursday June 2 at 7:30 pm at 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle, WA
- Find tickets to The Prom - Seattle on Friday June 3 at 7:30 pm at 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle, WA
- Find tickets to Pacific Northwest Ballet - Seattle on Friday June 3 at 7:30 pm at McCaw Hall in Seattle, WA
Seattle is the best place for theater in the Pacific Northwest, and it plays a major role in the theater scene throughout the country. Seattle has about a dozen theater venues, many of which specialize in fringe theater. Fringe theater refers to small scale, experimental productions and is typically presented by a smaller cast.
The 5th Avenue Theatre is one of the most famous venues for musical theater in all of the US. The theater describes itself as the “nation's premier incubator for new musical theater” because it often showcases new musicals before they make their way to Broadway. The theater has produced 17 new musicals since 2001. Of those 17, nine have gone on to premiere on Broadway, and two (Memphis and Hairspray) have won Tony Awards for Best Musical. Most recently, the 5th Avenue Theatre has sent Disney’s Aladdin to Broadway. You can easily recognize the 2130 seat theater from the street by looking for its famous vertical 5TH AVENUE sign. The 5th Avenue Theatre’s 2017-18 musical theater season features Ragtime, Holiday Inn, Mama Mia, Kiss Me Kate, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Broadway shows make their way to Seattle as well, and they often play at the Paramount Theatre. The Paramount opened in 1928 as a movie and vaudeville house. Paramount Pictures opened movie houses in many major cities during the 1920s. The building has been added to the National Register of Historic Places and was extensively renovated in the 1990s. It reopened in 1995 with a production of Miss Saigon, and the crowd of 2807 celebrated the return of Broadway to Seattle. The Broadway shows playing in Paramount’s 2017-18 season include Disney’s Aladdin, The Bodyguard, The Book of Mormon, Hamilton, and Les Misérables. The theater also hosts other events, like performances from the Moscow Ballet and appearances from comedians like Trevor Noah and John Mulaney.
What’s the best place to see theater in Seattle?
The 5th Avenue theater is well known throughout the global theater scene for producing excellent musicals. The venue is a Seattle landmark, and you might even get to see the next big musical before it heads to Broadway.
What theater is happening in Seattle this weekend?
Scroll up to the “Events this Weekend” section to see what theater is happening over the weekend in Seattle.
Always plan to be early to any theater. 5th Avenue’s doors open 45 minutes before the show starts and ushers will help guests to their seats 30 minutes before the show. Seattle’s downtown theaters don’t have their own parking, but there are parking garages that offer weekend and evening rates nearby.
How much will I pay to see a show in Seattle?
Seattle is one of the top theater destinations in the country, with a wide variety of venues and performances. Fans of all types are able to find a price point they’re comfortable with. For a look at ticket prices for upcoming theater, scroll to the top of the page and see events today, this weekend, and this week.
What show should I see while I’m in Seattle?
Seattle produces a lot of its own theater, and many Broadway shows come to Seattle throughout the year. Look through the listings above to see what theater is happening while you’re here. There are sections for events happening today, this weekend, and further in the future. You can also visit our Theater Page for all available shows.