- Find tickets to Keali i Reichel - Na Leo - San Diego on Friday October 29 at 7:30 pm at Humphreys Concerts By the Bay in San Diego, CA
- Find tickets to San Diego Symphony - San Diego on Saturday October 30 at 5:00 pm at The Rady Shell at Jacobs Park in San Diego, CA
- Find tickets to John Mulaney on Saturday October 30 at 5:00 pm at Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre at SDSU in San Diego, CA
- Find tickets to John Mulaney on Saturday October 30 at 9:00 pm at Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre at SDSU in San Diego, CA
- Find tickets to San Diego Symphony - San Diego on Friday November 5 at 7:00 pm at The Rady Shell at Jacobs Park in San Diego, CA
- Find tickets to George Lopez on Friday November 5 at 7:00 pm at San Diego Civic Theatre in San Diego, CA
- Find tickets to San Diego Symphony - San Diego on Saturday November 6 at 5:00 pm at The Rady Shell at Jacobs Park in San Diego, CA
- Find tickets to Nick Kroll on Saturday November 6 at 7:00 pm at The Magnolia El Cajon in El Cajon, CA
- Find tickets to The Hip Hop Nutcracker - San Diego on Saturday November 6 at 7:00 pm at San Diego Civic Theatre in San Diego, CA
- Find tickets to Felipe Esparza on Saturday November 6 at 7:30 pm at Humphreys Concerts By the Bay in San Diego, CA
Anyone who saw Anchorman knows San Diego is a classy place. And if you’re looking for something classy to do in the city, San Diego has a vast number of options available for theatergoers, including many Broadway shows.
The Old Globe Theatre is both a venue and a theater company. The Old Globe building is located in Balboa Park, which is home to many of San Diego’s most popular entertainment options. The Old Globe is modeled after a much older Globe: Shakespeare’s Globe Theater in London. San Diego’s Glove was originally constructed in 1935 as a temporary venue for an international exposition. During the exposition, the theater hosted shortened versions of Shakespeare’s plays. After the exposition concluded, a group of San Diegans formed a nonprofit to save the Old Globe and bring the building up to code. The current Old Globe Theatre company produces about 15 theater productions each year. The Globe’s productions have won 13 Tony Awards and many more nominations. The Globe’s 2017-2018 season includes shows like Benny & Joon, Twelfth Night, The Importance of Being Earnest, American Mariachi, and A Thousand Splendid Suns. The Old Globe also holds an annual production of the musical How the Grinch Stole Christmas from November to Christmas Eve.
The San Diego Civic Theatre is one of the major venues for Broadway in San Diego. It is located in Downtown San Diego, near the Gaslamp Quarter. The theatre seats nearly 3000 guests and hosts many of Broadway’s top touring shows and musicals. Broadway in San Diego’s 2017-18 season features The Little Mermaid, An American in Paris, Hamilton, The King and I, and School of Rock. The California Ballet also performs at the Civic Theatre. Other events are held in the smaller, nearby Balboa Theatre. The Balboa Theatre hosts productions like Peter Pan and Peppa Pig Live!
What’s the best place to see a show in San Diego?
If you’re looking for something from Broadway, your best bet is the San Diego Civic Theatre. If you’re not as picky though, the Old Globe is a cool spot, and its productions are still high-quality.
What theater is happening in San Diego this weekend?
Scroll up to the “Events this Weekend” section to see what productions are in San Diego this weekend.
Balboa Park is home to most of San Diego’s best museums, the famous Balboa Park Gardens, and the San Diego Zoo. If you’re going to a show in the area (the Old Globe Theatre is nearby), you can make a day of it and do some of the most fun stuff San Diego has to offer.
How much will I pay to see a show in San Diego?
San Diego is one of the top theater destinations in the country, with a wide variety of venues and performances. Fans of all types are able to find a price point they’re comfortable with. For a look at ticket prices for upcoming theater, scroll to the top of the page and see events today, this weekend, and this week.
What show should I see while I’m in San Diego?
There’s plenty of entertainment for all kinds of tastes in San Diego. Explore the listings above to see what theater is happening tonight, this weekend, and further in the future. You can also visit our Theater Page for all available shows.