- Find tickets from 60 dollars to Immersive Van Gogh Exhibit - Chicago on Thursday June 24 at 9:00 pm at Lighthouse ArtSpace Chicago in Chicago, IL
- Find tickets from 80 dollars to The Devil Wears Prada Chicago - Chicago on Tuesday July 13 at 7:30 pm at CIBC Theatre in Chicago, IL
- Find tickets from 139 dollars to Scribble Showdown - Chicago on date to be announced at Chicago Theatre in Chicago, IL
- Find tickets from 72 dollars to The Devil Wears Prada Chicago - Chicago on Saturday July 17 at 2:00 pm at CIBC Theatre in Chicago, IL
- Find tickets from 99 dollars to Jeff Dunham on Saturday July 24 at 8:00 pm at The Venue at Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, IN
- Find tickets from 51 dollars to The Devil Wears Prada Chicago - Chicago on Tuesday July 27 at 7:30 pm at CIBC Theatre in Chicago, IL
- Find tickets from 73 dollars to Gabriel Iglesias on Friday July 30 at 8:00 pm at The Venue at Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, IN
- Find tickets from 83 dollars to The Devil Wears Prada Chicago - Chicago on Saturday August 7 at 2:00 pm at CIBC Theatre in Chicago, IL
- Find tickets from 102 dollars to Immersive Van Gogh Exhibit - Chicago on Sunday August 15 at 9:00 pm at Lighthouse ArtSpace Chicago in Chicago, IL
- Find tickets from 76 dollars to Blue Man Group - Chicago on Wednesday August 18 at 8:00 pm at Briar Street Theatre in Chicago, IL
Chicago has one of richest theater histories of anywhere in the US outside of Broadway itself, and the city has left its own unique mark on theater.
Chicago Shakespeare Theater on Navy Pier might be the best way to see productions of plays from history’s best-known writers. The company puts on its shows in a number of different venues on Chicago’s lakefront. Their largest venue, the Jentes Family Courtyard Theater, is meant to evoke the Bard’s famous Globe Theater. The seating wraps around the stage on three different levels, and the audience is never more than 30 feet from the stage. Chicago Shakespeare also performs at a configurable theater called The Yard, which can be easily rearranged, and they put on Shakespeare in the Parks shows during the summer. Their producing season can include up to 19 different plays.
Chicago is home to a number of other well-known acting troupes. One, The Neo-Futurists, performed the longest running show in Chicago. Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind ran for 50 weekends a year from 1988 to 2016. The performers acted out 30 short shows in 60 minutes. After the end of Too Much Light, the Neo-Futurists debuted a new show, called The Infinite Wrench. The new show follows the same format--with the performers delivering a barrage of short plays. Audience members are assigned a team color, and the goal is to have all of your color’s plays performed. The winning color gets a team photo.
Of course, Chicago has many famous theaters, including The Goodman Theatre, which is part of Chicago’s oldest non-profit theater group. The Goodman opened in 1925 and is famous for its annual production of Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, which plays every December. Broadway in Chicago operates the CIBC Theater, which is the main home of Broadway plays in Chicago. The theater is hosting a resident production of Hamilton until mid-2018.
Where’s the best place to see theater in Chicago?
If you’re looking for something truly original, The Neo-Futurist production of The Infinite Wrench is unique, home-grown theater. They perform at the Neo-Futurarium.
What shows are playing in Chicago this weekend?
Scroll up to the “Events this Weekend” section above to check out what shows are going on this weekend.
Don’t think you need to see a Broadway show. You can’t go wrong with Hamilton, but Chicago has lots of its own great theater to offer. The Chicago Shakespeare Theater is a great option: their performances are highly-regarded, and the venues they play in do justice to the material they perform.
How much do theater tickets cost in Chicago?
Chicago is one of the top theater destinations in the country, with a wide variety of venues and performances. Fans of all types are able to find a price point they’re comfortable with. For a look at ticket prices for upcoming theater, scroll to the top of the page and see events today, this weekend, and this week.
What show should I see while I’m in Chicago?
Explore the listings above to see all the theater playing in Chicago today, this weekend, and further in the future. There are shows for any type of theater fan. You can also visit our Theater Page for all available shows.