- Find tickets from 185 dollars to Brian Regan on Friday April 16 at 7:30 pm at Mahaffey Theater in Saint Petersburg, FL
- Find tickets from 77 dollars to Riverdance - Clearwater on Friday April 16 at 8:00 pm at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater, FL
- Find tickets from 76 dollars to Riverdance - Clearwater on Saturday April 17 at 8:00 pm at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater, FL
- Find tickets from 92 dollars to Girls Gotta Eat on Friday April 30 at 7:30 pm at Tampa Improv in Tampa, FL
- Find tickets from 101 dollars to Girls Gotta Eat on Saturday May 1 at 7:30 pm at Tampa Improv in Tampa, FL
- Find tickets from 80 dollars to Chrissie Mayr on Sunday May 2 at 6:00 pm at Side Splitters Comedy Club in Tampa, FL
- Find tickets from 65 dollars to Shane Gillis on Friday May 7 at 8:00 pm at Side Splitters Comedy Club in Tampa, FL
- Find tickets from 66 dollars to Shane Gillis on Friday May 7 at 10:15 pm at Side Splitters Comedy Club in Tampa, FL
- Find tickets from 65 dollars to Shane Gillis on Saturday May 8 at 6:00 pm at Side Splitters Comedy Club in Tampa, FL
- Find tickets from 65 dollars to Shane Gillis on Saturday May 8 at 8:00 pm at Side Splitters Comedy Club in Tampa, FL
Tampa Bay is home to the largest performing arts center in the Southeast US. The Straz Center for the Performing Arts opened in 1987, bringing theater and culture to a site that had previously only been a gravel lot. The Straz Center has five theatrical venues: Carol Morsani Hall, Ferguson Hall, Jaeb Theater, Shimberg Playhouse, and TECO Theater. The Straz Center’s different venues accommodate different types of shows and crowds of various sizes.
Broadway shows at the Straz Center, and in the Tampa Bay area at large, most often play at Carol Morsani Hall. The 2600+ seat venue is the centerpiece of the Straz Center. Some of the venue’s coolest features include an 11-story backstage area and a 42-ton concert wall that can be lowered for orchestra and choral performances. Seating at Morsani Hall is in a horseshoe configuration on four levels. The Broadway shows that make up the 2017-18 season at Morsani Hall include On Your Feet, Fun Home, The Book of Mormon, Love Never Dies, School of Rock, and The Phantom of the Opera. The theater also hosts non-Broadway events. Neil DeGrasse Tyson and John Cleese have recently taken the stage at Morsani Hall, and so have other performers, such as The Illusionists and Next Generation Ballet.
Ferguson Hall also seats over 1000 guests and holds a wide variety of events, including many suitable for children. Its kid-friendly performances make it a popular destination for field trips during the school year. Some of Ferguson Hall’s shows for young audiences for the 2017-18 season include The Main Street Kids Club: A Mathstart Musical, PJ Masks Live: Time to Be a Hero, How to Survive Middle School, and Junie B. Jones. The theater is also home to the Florida Orchestra.
The Straz Center’s other venues are more intimate. The Shimberg Playhouse, in particular, is a “black box” theater that allows for many different seating configurations, so it’s practically a different venue each time you go.
What’s the best place to see theater in Tampa?
Carol Morsani Hall attracts some of Broadway’s top shows to Tampa. If you’re looking for something smaller, any of the Straz Center’s other venues are great places for theater, and you can even find shows for kids.
What theater is happening in Tampa this weekend? Scroll up to the “Events this Weekend” section to see what shows are happening in Tampa and the surrounding area over the weekend.
There are lots of ways to get to the Straz Center without parking or driving. Cab fare within the In-Town Zone (Downtown, Channel District, Ybor City, Harbour Island, Davis Islands and Hyde Park) only costs $4 per person (two person minimum). You can even take a pirate-themed water taxi!
How much will I pay to see theater in Tampa?
With the variety of venues and shows across the Tampa theater scene, fans of all types in the city should be able to find a price point that suits them. The top of this page provides a look at ticket prices for upcoming shows today, this weekend, and this week.
What theater show should I see while I’m in Tampa?
Tampa’s performing arts center gives you a number of options. Explore the listings above to see what’s playing tonight, this weekend, and further in the future. You can also visit our Theater Page for all available shows.