- Find tickets to Shen Yun - Saint Petersburg on Friday May 27 at 7:30 pm at Duke Energy Center for the Arts - Mahaffey Theater in Saint Petersburg, FL
- Find tickets to Tampa Bay Margarita Festival - Tampa on Saturday May 28 at 1:00 pm at Julian B Lane Riverfront Park in Tampa, FL
- Find tickets to Shen Yun - Saint Petersburg on Saturday May 28 at 2:00 pm at Duke Energy Center for the Arts - Mahaffey Theater in Saint Petersburg, FL
- Find tickets to No Cap Comedy Tour: DeRay Davis, DC Young Fly, Chico Bean & Karlous Miller on Saturday May 28 at 7:30 pm at Yuengling Center in Tampa, FL
- Find tickets to Shen Yun - Saint Petersburg on Saturday May 28 at 7:30 pm at Duke Energy Center for the Arts - Mahaffey Theater in Saint Petersburg, FL
- Find tickets to Shen Yun - Saint Petersburg on Sunday May 29 at 2:00 pm at Duke Energy Center for the Arts - Mahaffey Theater in Saint Petersburg, FL
- Find tickets to Bill Engvall on Thursday June 9 at 6:30 pm at Seminole Hard Rock Tampa in Tampa, FL
- Find tickets to Bill Engvall on Thursday June 9 at 9:30 pm at Seminole Hard Rock Tampa in Tampa, FL
- Find tickets to Mike Super - Saint Petersburg on Saturday June 25 at 8:00 pm at Duke Energy Center for the Arts - Mahaffey Theater in Saint Petersburg, FL
- Find tickets to Dude Perfect on Friday July 1 at 7:00 pm at Amalie Arena in Tampa, FL
Tampa Bay is home to the largest performing arts center in the Southeast US. The Straz Center for the Performing Arts opened in 1987, bringing theater and culture to a site that had previously only been a gravel lot. The Straz Center has five theatrical venues: Carol Morsani Hall, Ferguson Hall, Jaeb Theater, Shimberg Playhouse, and TECO Theater. The Straz Center’s different venues accommodate different types of shows and crowds of various sizes.
Broadway shows at the Straz Center, and in the Tampa Bay area at large, most often play at Carol Morsani Hall. The 2600+ seat venue is the centerpiece of the Straz Center. Some of the venue’s coolest features include an 11-story backstage area and a 42-ton concert wall that can be lowered for orchestra and choral performances. Seating at Morsani Hall is in a horseshoe configuration on four levels. The Broadway shows that make up the 2017-18 season at Morsani Hall include On Your Feet, Fun Home, The Book of Mormon, Love Never Dies, School of Rock, and The Phantom of the Opera. The theater also hosts non-Broadway events. Neil DeGrasse Tyson and John Cleese have recently taken the stage at Morsani Hall, and so have other performers, such as The Illusionists and Next Generation Ballet.
Ferguson Hall also seats over 1000 guests and holds a wide variety of events, including many suitable for children. Its kid-friendly performances make it a popular destination for field trips during the school year. Some of Ferguson Hall’s shows for young audiences for the 2017-18 season include The Main Street Kids Club: A Mathstart Musical, PJ Masks Live: Time to Be a Hero, How to Survive Middle School, and Junie B. Jones. The theater is also home to the Florida Orchestra.
The Straz Center’s other venues are more intimate. The Shimberg Playhouse, in particular, is a “black box” theater that allows for many different seating configurations, so it’s practically a different venue each time you go.
What’s the best place to see theater in Tampa?
Carol Morsani Hall attracts some of Broadway’s top shows to Tampa. If you’re looking for something smaller, any of the Straz Center’s other venues are great places for theater, and you can even find shows for kids.
What theater is happening in Tampa this weekend? Scroll up to the “Events this Weekend” section to see what shows are happening in Tampa and the surrounding area over the weekend.
There are lots of ways to get to the Straz Center without parking or driving. Cab fare within the In-Town Zone (Downtown, Channel District, Ybor City, Harbour Island, Davis Islands and Hyde Park) only costs $4 per person (two person minimum). You can even take a pirate-themed water taxi!
How much will I pay to see theater in Tampa?
With the variety of venues and shows across the Tampa theater scene, fans of all types in the city should be able to find a price point that suits them. The top of this page provides a look at ticket prices for upcoming shows today, this weekend, and this week.
What theater show should I see while I’m in Tampa?
Tampa’s performing arts center gives you a number of options. Explore the listings above to see what’s playing tonight, this weekend, and further in the future. You can also visit our Theater Page for all available shows.