- Find tickets from 64 dollars to The Band's Visit - Detroit on Saturday October 31 at 2:00 pm at Fisher Theatre in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 62 dollars to The Band's Visit - Detroit on Saturday October 31 at 8:00 pm at Fisher Theatre in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 82 dollars to Eddie Griffin on Friday November 6 at 8:00 pm at Sound Board at Motor City Casino in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 189 dollars to The Band's Visit - Detroit on Saturday November 7 at 2:00 pm at Fisher Theatre in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 189 dollars to The Band's Visit - Detroit on Saturday November 7 at 8:00 pm at Fisher Theatre in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 189 dollars to The Band's Visit - Detroit on Sunday November 8 at 2:00 pm at Fisher Theatre in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 51 dollars to Maz Jobrani on Sunday November 22 at 7:30 pm at Sound Board at Motor City Casino in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 72 dollars to JB Smoove on Sunday November 29 at 8:00 pm at Sound Board at Motor City Casino in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 63 dollars to Felipe Esparza on Friday December 4 at 6:00 pm at The Garden Theatre in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 83 dollars to The Cher Show - Detroit on Friday December 11 at 8:00 pm at Fisher Theatre in Detroit, MI
Broadway Shows and Plays in Detroit Details
It’s a great time for theater in Detroit: many of its historic theaters have been renovated for modern use, and performing arts venues are spread out from Woodward Avenue to Midtown to New Center. The District Detroit, a 50 block district that hopes to use the best of Detroit’s sports and arts scenes to revitalize the city, officially opened in 2017 with the grand opening of the Little Caesar’s Arena. Detroit’s performing arts scene will be an important part of the district and will help to link together and create a walking route between Downtown and Midtown.
Detroit’s Fox Theatre—once part of the famous chain of Fox movie palaces—is one of the venues that anchors the new District Detroit. The building opened in 1928 and was Detroit’s flagship movie theatre for decades after. Hollywood stars like Shirley Temple visited the theatre for showings of her films, and legendary figures like Elvis Presley performed there. Parts of the theatre closed in the 1970s, and new owners restored the venue during the 1980s. The theatre reopened in 1988 and has been a landmark for live entertainment in the city ever since. The Fox is located on Woodward Avenue, under a mile from Detroit’s major pro sports stadiums. The theatre hosts shows like Thugs and the Women Who Love ‘Em, Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Musical, The Wizard of Oz, Elf: The Musical, The Sound of Music, and STOMP; it also holds appearances by comedians like Jerry Seinfeld and Brian Regan.
Located in the New Center area of the city, the Fisher Theatre is another of Detroit’s historic venues. The theater is part of the Fisher Building, which is one of Detroit’s oldest and most famous skyscrapers. The theatre has seating for just over 2000 people and frequently hosts touring Broadway productions.
Where’s the best place to see theater in Detroit?
If you’re looking for a Broadway show, the Fisher Theatre is your best bet. Touring Broadway shows like Love Never Dies, The Color Purple, and The Bodyguard play at the Fisher Theatre when they come to Detroit.
But a show doesn’t have to be from Broadway to be good. The Fox Theatre puts on some great shows as well.
What theater is happening in Detroit this weekend?
Scroll up to the “Events this Weekend” heading to see what productions are playing in Detroit this weekend.
If you’re into sports, the Fox Theatre is close to all of Detroit’s sports arenas, and the restaurant next door, The Hockeytown Cafe, is one of the top sports bars in the city. It has dozens of beers on tap and all kinds of sports memorabilia scattered throughout. It even has its own theater! The 430 seat City Theatre is located inside the Hockeytown Cafe.
How much will I pay to see a show in Detroit?
Detroit is one of the top theater destinations in the country, with a wide variety of venues and performances. Fans of all types are able to find a price point they’re comfortable with. For a look at ticket prices for upcoming theater, scroll to the top of the page and see events today, this weekend, and this week.
What show should I see while I’m in Detroit?
Explore the listings above to see what theater will be in Detroit today, this weekend, and further in the future. Great theater is always available. You can also visit our Theater Page for all available shows.