- Find tickets from 77 dollars to Summer The Donna Summer Musical Nashville - Detroit on Friday August 6 at 8:00 pm at Fisher Theatre in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 74 dollars to Summer The Donna Summer Musical Nashville - Detroit on Saturday August 7 at 2:00 pm at Fisher Theatre in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 115 dollars to Summer The Donna Summer Musical Nashville - Detroit on Sunday August 8 at 2:00 pm at Fisher Theatre in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 59 dollars to Boyz II Men - Sterling Heights on Thursday August 26 at 7:30 pm at Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre at Freedom Hill in Sterling Heights, MI
- Find tickets from 37 dollars to Adam Carolla on Friday September 10 at 7:00 pm at Royal Oak Music Theatre in Royal Oak, MI
- Find tickets from 91 dollars to Tony N' Tina's Wedding - Warren on Friday September 10 at 7:30 pm at Andiamo Celebrity Showroom in Warren, MI
- Find tickets from 75 dollars to Andrew Schulz on Friday September 10 at 7:30 pm at The Fillmore Detroit in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 57 dollars to Andrew Dice Clay on Sunday September 12 at 8:00 pm at Sound Board at Motor City Casino in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 56 dollars to Jo Koy (Rescheduled from 4/9/2020, 10/3/2020, 4/3/2021) on Friday September 17 at 6:30 pm at Masonic Theater at The Masonic Temple in Detroit, MI
- Find tickets from 41 dollars to Maz Jobrani on Friday September 17 at 7:30 pm at Sound Board at Motor City Casino in Detroit, MI
It’s a great time for theater in Detroit: many of its historic theaters have been renovated for modern use, and performing arts venues are spread out from Woodward Avenue to Midtown to New Center. The District Detroit, a 50 block district that hopes to use the best of Detroit’s sports and arts scenes to revitalize the city, officially opened in 2017 with the grand opening of the Little Caesar’s Arena. Detroit’s performing arts scene will be an important part of the district and will help to link together and create a walking route between Downtown and Midtown.
Detroit’s Fox Theatre—once part of the famous chain of Fox movie palaces—is one of the venues that anchors the new District Detroit. The building opened in 1928 and was Detroit’s flagship movie theatre for decades after. Hollywood stars like Shirley Temple visited the theatre for showings of her films, and legendary figures like Elvis Presley performed there. Parts of the theatre closed in the 1970s, and new owners restored the venue during the 1980s. The theatre reopened in 1988 and has been a landmark for live entertainment in the city ever since. The Fox is located on Woodward Avenue, under a mile from Detroit’s major pro sports stadiums. The theatre hosts shows like Thugs and the Women Who Love ‘Em, Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Musical, The Wizard of Oz, Elf: The Musical, The Sound of Music, and STOMP; it also holds appearances by comedians like Jerry Seinfeld and Brian Regan.
Located in the New Center area of the city, the Fisher Theatre is another of Detroit’s historic venues. The theater is part of the Fisher Building, which is one of Detroit’s oldest and most famous skyscrapers. The theatre has seating for just over 2000 people and frequently hosts touring Broadway productions.
Where’s the best place to see theater in Detroit?
If you’re looking for a Broadway show, the Fisher Theatre is your best bet. Touring Broadway shows like Love Never Dies, The Color Purple, and The Bodyguard play at the Fisher Theatre when they come to Detroit.
But a show doesn’t have to be from Broadway to be good. The Fox Theatre puts on some great shows as well.
What theater is happening in Detroit this weekend?
Scroll up to the “Events this Weekend” heading to see what productions are playing in Detroit this weekend.
If you’re into sports, the Fox Theatre is close to all of Detroit’s sports arenas, and the restaurant next door, The Hockeytown Cafe, is one of the top sports bars in the city. It has dozens of beers on tap and all kinds of sports memorabilia scattered throughout. It even has its own theater! The 430 seat City Theatre is located inside the Hockeytown Cafe.
How much will I pay to see a show in Detroit?
Detroit is one of the top theater destinations in the country, with a wide variety of venues and performances. Fans of all types are able to find a price point they’re comfortable with. For a look at ticket prices for upcoming theater, scroll to the top of the page and see events today, this weekend, and this week.
What show should I see while I’m in Detroit?
Explore the listings above to see what theater will be in Detroit today, this weekend, and further in the future. Great theater is always available. You can also visit our Theater Page for all available shows.